What causes drug overdose
Drug overdoses can be intentional or accidental and occur when an individual takes more than the medically prescribed dose of a prescription or over the counter drug. However, drug overdose with respect to illicit drugs is when a person uses external substances to get high but may take an overdose because their metabolism cannot detoxify the drug fast enough to get “high”, or in other words. Their body becomes immune to the usual quantities of the drug, and thus requires higher dosages to feel its effect. In other words, an overdose occurs when a person takes more than the medically recommended dose.
What Are the Symptoms and Signs of a Drug Overdose?
Drugs have an impact on the entire body. Generally, in an overdose, the effects of the drug may be of a heightened level of the therapeutic effects seen with regular use. In overdose, side effects become more noticeable, and other effects can take place, which would not occur with normal use. Large overdoses of some medications cause only minimal effects, while smaller overdoses of other medications can cause severe effects, possibly death.
However, some common signs one may witness during an overdose episode are problems with one’s vital signs, such as temperature, pulse rate, blood pressure, and breathing. Alteration in one’s vital signs can be life-threatening; in worse come worse cases, one’s vitals may also seem completely absent. Another sign is that the person who has OD’ed may seem disoriented; he/she may seem sleepy, confused, dazed, one may also go into a state of coma. Other general signs of overdoes are when one gets pale, their skin becomes cool and sweaty and/or clammy, or they start feeling excessively hot and dry. Overdose’s show themselves in the form of chest pains that may be caused due to the damage of the lung or heart. This may be accompanied by abdominal pain, nausea, and shortness of breath. One may also vomit blood or excrete blood during their bowel movements.
Now one may face a drug overdose that can be accidental in nature or deliberate. Therefore, the following are the Causes of a Drug overdose:
- Overdose: An accidental overdose may occur when an individual overtakes the quantity of the required drug due to their lack of knowledge regarding the same. For example, a child or an elderly individual may swallow more than the required quantity of the medication due to their less developed mental abilities. On the other hand, an intentional overdose is done with the intention of getting high or cause harm to oneself.
- A child who is small may ingest a medication purely because it came into their reach and did so by mistake, as they have a habit of placing everything in their mouth. Whereas with adolescents or adults they are more likely to overdose on drugs or other substances in order to cause harm to themselves or to achieve other effects from the drug than its primary purpose.
Ways to seek medical attention?
In the situation of a drug overdose, it is imperative to get the patient to the hospital or to a medical practitioner as soon as possible. Appropriate caution must be taken while dealing with a drug overdose. Every patient has a different response to their overdose, and one’s reactions can be hard to predict. Some may develop physical signs and symptoms while others may simply look very ill.
- The local poison center or emergency room can determine the severity of the overdose, but it is important to note that all practitioners may not be experienced with dealing with an overdose. The local medical facility will look into the development of any and all symptoms; this process requires immediate and accurate information about the substance abused. Therefore in cases of overdose, time is key, the quicker the patient receives medical help, the higher are the chances of him/her overcoming the OD. One may have to explain on behalf of the patient the amount of drug ingested, the time, etc.
- As per data, in 2017, there were nearly 2,199 overdose deaths involving opioids in California. Though that number is lower than the national death rate w.r.t overdoses, it is an alarming situation. The state of California is known for its mischievous links to drugs and substance abuse. However, the sunny state has some of the best drug treatments in California. Some of the best rehabs are in California, thus drug treatment in California is good.
Treatment in California:
- Treatment in California for overdose is dictated by the specific drug taken during the overdose. The treatment process involves the pumping of the stomach, to mechanically remove any unabsorbed drugs from the individual’s system. Drug treatment in California involves giving the patient activated charcoal to help bind the drugs and prevent its further spreading across the body, by keeping them restricted within the stomach and the intestines. The charcoal combined with the drug then is expelled in the stool.
- Drug treatments in California will require the agitated or violent patients to be physically restrained so that a sedating medicine can be given to continue the treatment and till the effect of the drug wears off. In the best rehabs in California, medical professionals go to great lengths to make the patient better and force medication to recover promptly. Medical assistance towards drug overdose is brilliant in California. Now one may wonder
Why choose California for Destination treatment?
California is known for its drug treatment programs and for some of the best rehabs that exist in California, it becomes a great place for destination treatment for anyone suffering from addiction. Destination treatment in California is great due to multiple reasons:
There currently are nearly 1200 registered rehabs in California; each offering unique methods to help a patient start their own road to recovery. And since California is the home to glitz and glam, there are several luxury rehab centers in California, these aim to provide to be admitted patients with top-class services, rather than mundane looking rehab centers. Today rehab is more than just recovery, it is about holistic healing; it is about turning over a new leaf, and starting afresh. Today rehabs in California use various models to help treat individuals, and these are modeled or customized according to their needs.
Today some rehabs in California have amenities that match or even surpass those offered by five-star hotels. They provide abundant options to rejuvenate; there are sprawling and lush lawns, scenic views, plush interiors, recreational areas such as gyms, pools, clubhouses, etc.
Some people’s needs do not allow them to let go of their prior obligations be it familial or work-wise, and thus there are several outpatient rehab centers in California, that allow one to access trained professionals while going on with their daily life.
How to find help? The Best Rehab in California- Anatta Recovery:
One of the best rehabs in California that truly carries the title of a destination treatment program is Anatta Recovery. The entire ethos of this rehab is living and breathing manifestation of destination drug treatment in California. Anatta provides a compassionate, accepting, non-judgmental environment, wherein help is available 24/7. It encourages an individual to accept oneself and deal with one’s issues in a harmonious environment that facilitates the desire to not find the need to drink/use. Anatta specializes in destination treatment that allows the individual to recover and regrow away from the hustle and bustle, in peace and tranquility. Recovering in the laps of serene nature, in luxurious comfort, away from one’s day to day stress, enables faster results, and greater peace of mind
- Recovery is one of the leading luxury rehab centers in California. It provides recovery options through residential, non-medical methods, specializing in Alternative Life Programs, for those who want to recover and live a life free of substance dependence. Founded in 2004, by a person in recovery along with a psychiatrist, Anatta today has joined hands with renowned physicians, counselors and healthcare professionals who aid the patient in recovery.
- Specializes in destination treatment that allows the individual to recover and regrow away from the hustle and bustle, in peace and tranquility. Recovering in the laps of serene nature, in luxurious comfort, away from one’s day to day stress, enables faster results, and greater peace of mind, as one does not have to worry about the additional external pressure they may face from those rooting for them, because recovery is a process that has its good and bad days, thus having its own ups and downs.
Anatta is a luxury rehab center based on voluntary, non- medical, client-specific, one on one program, where you gain the tools to deal with these unresolved issues through compassionate, individualized, holistic coaching in a lavish ambiance. It encourages an individual to accept oneself and deal with one’s issues in a harmonious environment that facilitates the desire to not find the need to drink/use.
Anatta promotes and supports a treatment program, where we deal with emotional counseling and other behavioral treatments. In addition, other healing routes also blend in, to facilitate the growth of an individual in order to encourage a transformation that leads to not finding the need to use /drink any substance whether drugs or alcohol.