In most of the advertisements and movies, we read the caution “smoking is injurious to health.” But it doesn’t mean people stop getting addicted to smoking. There are a lot of people whose day start with smoking and ends with smoking. The problem of smoking is not just found with adults, but it exists among youngsters as well. Smoking gives them a pleasurable feeling and their body starts feeling comfortable with symptoms. Addiction to smoking can happen really quickly, within a short period of time. But you must keep finding different ways about ‘how to motivate yourself to quit smoking.’
Before getting into more details of smoking, let’s understand what is smoking?
Smoking is the act of inhaling and exhaling the fumes of a burning plant material. It is both physical and psychological addiction. It is ingrained as a daily ritual and becomes an automatic response to inhale a cigarette whether it’s taking a break at school or work or commuting back from a hectic day.
As smoking contains a really addictive chemical, hence it becomes really difficult for a person to quit this habit. With heroin and other addictive drugs, the body and mind quickly get used to it and it becomes really difficult for a person to feel normal without it.
Causes behind becoming a smoke addict:
There is no single reason behind drug addiction. Instead, there are multiple factors that lead to formation of addiction. Have a look:
- Genetic reason: Some people naturally get attracted to smoking because it’s inherent within them since birth. Their past or present family members must have been smoke addict. Their genes are responsible to produce neurotransmitters which push them to get engaged into smoking again and again.
- Psychological reason: Sometimes, people get indulged into regular smoking to reduce stress. It can be of any kind whether it’s examination stress, job stress or personal stress. Also, people who want to feel pleasurable sensations, get relief from boredom or want to cope up with negative situations, circumstances or unpleasant emotions are also vulnerable to addiction. Psychological reasons are found as the huge hurdle to start working upon – ‘How to quit smoking’?
- Socio-culture influence: It is quite normal to see people smoking during corporate parties. Even in some family functions and festivals, people gather together and collectively smoke. It describes a group’s learned and shared pattern of beliefs and values. When a culture accepts or tolerates the drug use, other group members especially teenagers start imbibing this habit.
Smoke addiction leads to certain symptoms. Earlier you notice, timely you can overcome smoking problems. Let’s look at them:
- Giving up activities because of smoking indulgence, for example – avoiding company of those people who don’t smoke or not entering the smoke – free restaurant.
- Insomnia, diarrhea, constipation may also occur
- Cold hands and feet
- Loss of taste and smell
- Moodiness, irritability and poor concentration
- Cravings and increased appetite
- Bad breath and teeth yellowing
No matter how frequently you smoke, smoking always increases the risk of bodily problems. Some problems can be seen on an immediate basis, while others are seen after years. Here are the effects of smoking which generally emerge if you don’t find answers for ‘how to quit smoking.’
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Lung cancer
- Chronic bronchitis
- Emphysema, the destruction of air sacs in lungs
- Peripheral artery disease
- Increased risk of stroke
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Difficulty swallowing
- Shortness of death
- Unexplained weight loss
- Persistent hoarseness
How to quit smoking?
Addiction is easy, but quitting is difficult. But, it doesn’t mean that you can’t fight back. Every small step will help you to resist the urge to smoke whenever a tobacco craving strikes. Try out the following techniques that will help you answer the biggest question of life – ‘how to quit smoking cigarettes permanently’:
- Block your calendar with ‘Quit smoking day’: Once you decide to quit smoking, pick a date that is not too far in the future and mark it as you’re first day from which you would start working on quitting smoke. You should keep reminding yourself a few days before the date arrives that how serious you are about this to happen and you are eagerly waiting to get into the action. You can also talk to your friends, family and co-workers about your decision. It will help you get motivation from your well wishers.
- Avoid smoking triggers: You need to sit and ponder over smoking trigger areas like – certain people, places or things that tempt you to smoke. Not only this, but you have to throw away all the ashtrays, cigarettes and lighters and go to places where smoking isn’t allowed. You would need to search out new friends or a social circle who are far away from intoxication. Not only non – smokers, but your new company should be non – alcoholic as well because during such a sensitive stage, your brain would force you to move from one addiction to another. But you need to divert your thought then and there.
- Stay busy: Often, when it is asked from experts ‘how to quit smoking cigarettes’, then one thing which they mostly say is to keep yourself busy. Instead of smoking during breaks at offices, you must listen to music, go for a small walk, and watch a small YouTube video. You can also call a friend or relative to never let your mind bounce back to nicotine craving. Once, you reach back home, instead of spending time alone, sit with your family, talk to them or get yourself engaged into a hobby.
- Go for Nicotine Replacement therapy: Nicotine patches, chewing gums or inhalers can be the perfect replacements for the smoke addicts. There are oral prescription medicines as well like – varenicline (brand name Champix) and bupropion (brand names Zyban and Prexaton) that help you quit smoking. You can also try replacing your smoking triggers with beverages like – tea, coffee, nimbu pani, green tea etc. Nasal spray can also be brought to be used. It delivers nicotine to the bloodstream rapidly; helps you relieve with withdrawal symptoms and lets you control your nicotine cravings.
- Eat more Vitamins: The study says that vitamins and minerals play an important role in uplifting moods. But due to less vitamins and minerals intake, when a smoker is triggered by stress, he/she is not able to keep calm and hence gets indulged into smoking. However, if they would consume proper amount of Vitamins, especially B and C, their mood will remain balanced and they will not feel restless in absence of nicotine consumption. It forms one of the best answers for ‘how to quit smoking permanently?’
- Hypnotherapy: A good hypnosis program is one of the best ways that answers ‘how to quit smoking easily’. It is a short – term treatment that works with a person’s conscious and subconscious mind to find solutions to emotional and behavioral problems. It has been shown to be effective in treating issues such as eating disorders, nicotine addiction, phobias and traumatic memories.
- Practice relaxation techniques: Resisting a tobacco can be stressful. But a person can edge off stress by practicing relaxation techniques such as – muscle relaxation, yoga, deep -breathing exercises, visualization, listening to calming music or massage.
- Join a rehabilitation center: If none of the activities give proper results, then joining a rehabilitation center would be a wise decision. Medication assisted treatment and cognitive behavioral therapy relieves physical stress of the withdrawal and help in recovery process. The standard residential rehab facilities provide professional staff who monitors progress around – the – clock.
Anatta Humneversity is one of the reliable rehabilitation centers which transforms lives by helping you follow the steps towards ‘how to quit smoking permanently.’ Our nutritionists and therapist understand your history and prevailing symptoms and accordingly start the recovery process. Even after completion of program, we remain in touch with the client to make sure that he/she doesn’t get indulged into vicious circle of addiction.
Q1. How to motivate someone to quit smoking?
Ans. You can help them divert their mind whenever they talk about quitting smoking. You can also remove all the things like lighters and ashtrays that remind them of smoking.
Q2. How to clean lungs after quitting smoking?
Ans. Steam therapy, Exercise, Green tea and anti – inflammatory foods help clean lungs after quitting smoking.
Q3. How to quit smoking in one day?
Ans. Only your will power can help you quit smoking in one day. Alongwith that you need to make sure that you stay away from smokers, cigarettes and lighters.
Q4) How to recover body after quitting smoking?
Ans. Get active, shop for healthy groceries, never let yourself remain too hungry, sleep well, do meditation and read books. These tips will definitely help you recover after quitting smoking.
Q5) How to prepare to quit smoking?
Ans. Start with a day that is not likely to be stressful. Initially, set your target to quit smoking for not more than one or two weeks. When the first day arrives, make sure you are not surrounded by the common triggers like – restaurants, isolation, loneliness, cigarette shops etc. Instead replace them with chewing gums, inhalers etc.